[Editor’s note — The following article was written by a guest contributor, Jamie from Beam and part of the organizing committee of FutureU]
It’s always a make or break point when it comes to hiring because it directly impacts your company’s growth right after your fundraising efforts. More often than not, start-ups focus too much on business planning and neglect the initial hiring phases, thus losing out on bringing in good talents.
Future U interviewed over a dozen of companies to understand how they retain talent. Most of them concurred with this statement: “Spend some time figuring out who are you looking to hire right from the start, and you will be fine”. This principle is the reason why Airbnb took five months for their first hire.
Now, you must be wondering what are the telltale signs of a good hire. Park n Parcel, a start-up from the BLOCK71 Singapore community mentioned three things that they would look out for in a good candidate.
- Enthusiasm and initiative: These qualities shows a person’s team spirit and illustrates that the candidate is not someone who simply meets the criteria of a job description, but who goes above and beyond what is required to help the startup succeed.
- Multitaskers who thrive on variety of roles and responsibilities: Start-ups today move at supersonic speed, and being able to effectively manage a variety of different projects simultaneously is essential. If the candidate demonstrates a passion for learning new things and enjoys a variety of work, it is likely he or she is also ambitious and inquisitive.
- Creative problem solving skills: Candidates should know how to tackle challenges, seize opportunities and think out of the box.
Hiring is not an easy task, and its importance should not be underestimated. If you would like to know more, check out the links below:
- How to effectively grow your business
- Nine Hiring Tips To Help You Choose The Perfect Candidate
- Future U Career fair for companies interested to hire and pitch to investors, register here.
- If you are a job candidate interested to hear from HR Veterans from Visa, Lazada and are keen to network with other business owners, join our fringe events by registering here with this promo code: “nusfutureu”
Are you an entrepreneur working on a cool product and looking for more than just a co-working space ? Do apply for a hotdesk here and become part of the exciting community that we offer at BLOCK71 SINGAPORE.
For more great entrepreneur themed articles delivered weekly to your inbox, subscribe to the BLOCK71 newsletter here!